Located along six miles of Pacific coastline in northern San Diego County, Encinitas has an approximate population of 60,000 and a beautiful, desirable landscape. The city was incorporated in 1986, drawing together the communities of New Encinitas, Old Encinitas, Cardiff-bythe-Sea, Olivenhain and Leucadia. In 2016, the City sought strategic communications and community outreach support to better inform and engage the community while also decreasing communications related costs.
(W)right On Communications developed and implemented a comprehensive City communications program for the City and acted for all intents and purposes as the de facto PIO for Encinitas. The program included:
- An integrated communications strategy to proactively inform
community members, engage them on key decision making and empower them in the civic engagement process.
- PR and media relations
- Revamping the City’s social media strategy and leading content creation
- Deploying multiple new communications and feedback channels including Nextdoor, PlaceSpeak and eComment
- Visual storytelling through graphic design and new tools such as Facebook Live
- Increased communications activity level including opportunities to receive
community input and feedback while decreasing costs
(W)right On Communications developed a communications plan that strategically leveraged paid, earned, shared and owned communications channels while providing a structure to systematize external communications from the City. The plan eliminated redundancies by structuring responsibilities so that department leaders’ expertise was provided, while WOC directed and implemented strategic, effective communications.
Tactically, this included leveraging strong visuals to grab attention, building strong relationships with the media and community, regular communications team check-ins and status reporting, deployed social media best practices to achieve improved reach and engagement on social platforms while also guiding staff on social media best practices.
During the period that WOC was providing the above services, measurable outcomes were achieved including:
- 70% reduction in communications costs
- Doubled the volume of City press releases issued, generating 127 stories and over 17 million impressions (this is only proactive media outreach, this does not count coverage of City Council, Planning Commission and other meetings)
- 73% increase in social media impressions
- 32% increase in frequency of social media posts
- Launched City of Encinitas presence as a public agency on Nextdoor and supported the launch of new platforms PlaceSpeak and eComment
- Key website statistics showed more community members were getting information from the City’s website:
- 142% increase in visitors
- 154% increase in sessions
- 150% increase in pageviews
- 35% increase in City newsletter subscriptions